Sunday, February 15, 2009

Residency underway

Last Tuesday the Historical Society held a morning tea for its volunteers to thank them for their contribution over the last year, and to introduce them to me.
launch_WLandLennie_400
That's me on the left, listening to Lennie McCall, Chair of Council and residency project officer. On the table in front of me are a selection of the family textiles which set me on the path that eventually led to this residency. (You'll hear more on these in my next post).

I had the pleasure of meeting more than fifty of the volunteers who serve the Society so well. I also met the President of the Society, Robert Nicholson. Here he is talking to Lennie McCall and Jane King, executive officer of Museums Australia WA.
launch_LennieBobandJaneKing_400 copy 2
It was a chance meeting and conversation with Jane which led me to the Society's doorstep. I'm very grateful to Jane both for her initial recommendation and her ongoing encouragement. Lennie, from the moment I approached her, has been enthusiastic and supportive. It took a huge amount of work on her part to make this residency happen, so the launch of the residency was certainly a joint celebration.

I spoke briefly about my plans for the residency, and shared the stories of the family textiles I had brought along. Then everyone enjoyed a wonderful morning tea, being served here by Trudi and Lesley.
launch_trudiandlesley_400

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Wendy. This is a wonderful opportunity for you, and is certain to enrich the Historical Society's presence and resource information. I'm so pleased for you! I will follow your blog from the central US. Rosemary Claus-Gray

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- growing up on the other side of the country, I still did almost exactly the same school sample things as you have shown - almost the same colours! There must have been some central school supplies depot from which all education departments got their stuff. Or perhaps it is more a commentary on imagination shared between teachers. Goodness knows what happened to some of those things - I was the eldest and lots of things were commandeered for my sisters' dolls beds and so on - especially matchbox hests of drawers with those little plastic dolls ... but I still have the first doiley (about grade 4) for which I crocheted an edge - it wasn't muy first embroidery, but definitely the first satin stitch. Remind me to show it to you some time! YOu are going to enjoy this and we look forward to hearing about the development of the residency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Wendy! What a wonderful opportunity for both you and the Society.
    --Martha Sielman

    ReplyDelete