Monday, April 20, 2009

Rockingham visit

On Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting the members of the Rockingham District Historical Society, in their museum close to the beach to which I made many childhood excursions. This was the first of a number of talks I will be giving for the Historical Society's affiliated societies as part of the residency public programme. It was a great opportunity to talk with interesting and knowledgable people and a chance to learn more about local history.

Rockingham cupboard
Rockingham museum has some wonderful displays of the early days. I was surprised to discover group settlements were sited in the Rockingham area, much closer to Perth than I'd realised. Among the collection relating to group settlements was a familiar cupboard made of recycled kerosene cans.

Rockingham Museum waggas
Best of all, I found a domestic 'wagga' quilt, a utilitarian covering made from a variety of old clothes patched together.

Rockingham wagga detail
This detail of the wagga shows the coat front with button holes. My own grandmother made a similar quilt during the depression using her old coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment